You cant beat a roast chicken, probably one of the handiest meals you can cook.
‘The strange thing about being a well-recognised chef is that people often assume that my days off are spent preparing vastly elaborate dinners. Make no mistake: I am a simple eater. A roast Friendly Farmer chicken with potatoes. A shank of Connemara lamb falling off the bone into an unctuous gravy of cider and rosemary. These are simple things. You lay down your dish into the middle of the table and everyone serves themselves.’
How does this farmer roast a chicken?
- Pop the chicken in the oven breast down, shake salt and pepper on its back.
- Set the oven to non fan assisted. No tin foil needed as it only dries out the skin.
- Cut up some chunky veg and leave at the base of the chicken to soak up all those gorgeous juices.
- Cook at 180 degrees for an 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Turn the bird for the last 20 minutes to brown the breast.
- Remove the bird from the oven and cover with foil.
- Cover with a tea towel and let sit for a good 20 mins.
Juicy succulent chicken ready to rock and roll.